Tips for Finding Your Lost Pet

What to do if you Find a Stray Dog

  • Check for ID, and call the animal’s owner if there is a phone number on the tag. If the animal is wearing a Blaine County Dog License, even an old one, you can call Mountain Humane and they can get you the owner’s information so you can contact them directly.
  •   If you are unable to keep a found animal with you, you can call your local police or animal control (see numbers below) to pick up the animal. You can also bring the animal to Mountain Humane Monday – Friday, 9 am – 5 pm. Intake staff can be reached by calling 208 788 4351 ext. 301. Mountain Humane does not have the resources or authority to pick up animals.  If you need help with a stray animal after these hours or on Saturday or Sunday, please call one of the numbers below as appropriate to your location:

Blaine County Sheriff’s Dispatch 208-788-5555
Hailey Police 208-788-3531
Bellevue Marshall 208-788-3692
Ketchum Police 208-726-7819
Sun Valley Police 208-622-5345

  •   Take the animal to be scanned for a microchip. Also, check the animal’s ears for a tattoo, as this is sometimes used as a form of pet identification.

Local places to have microchips checked:
Mountain Humane 101 Croy Creek Rd. Hailey 208-788-4351
Sawtooth Animal Center Main St. Bellevue 208-788-4004
Sun Valley Animal Center Hwy 75 South of Ketchum 208-726-7777
Sun Valley Animal Center Downtown Warm Springs Rd. Ketchum 208-726-7790
St. Francis Pet Hospital HWY 75 on the north end of Ketchum 208-726-1157

If you’ve lost your pet there are a multitude of actions you can take to make sure your pet gets home.

  • Call Mountain Humane at 208-788-4351 to see if your pet has been brought in already.
  • Check our lost & found Facebook page or the 5B pets page to see if someone has picked up your pet.
  • Create signs that you can hang up in your neighborhood.
  • Place an ad in your local newspaper.
  • Check with other regional shelters – pets can get impressively far sometimes!


Cats wandering outside are usually not far from their homes and are unlikely to be lost. Research shows that cats are 13 times more likely to be reunited with their owners if left in place. Here’s how you can help:

  • If the cat looks healthy, and not in imminent danger, i.e. busy road, please leave it where it is/put it back where you found it.
  • Post a picture and description of the cat on Mountain Humane Lost and Found and 5B Pets Facebook pages.
  • Post “Cat Sighting” flyers in your neighborhood with your contact and the date/time/location of the sighting.


Mountain Humane is here to help if you find a litter of kittens and are not sure what to do. Follow the steps below to help guide you on the best path for these precious babies.

How to report animal neglect or abuse

Contact Blaine County Sheriff Dispatch 208-788-5555