I've Found a Pet
What to do if You Find a Stray Dog
Check for ID and call the animal’s owner if there is a phone number on the tag.
Take the dog to be scanned for a microchip. Local places to have microchips checked:
- Mountain Humane 101 Croy Creek Rd. Hailey 208-788-4351
- Sawtooth Animal Center Main St. Bellevue 208-788-4004
- Sun Valley Animal Center Hwy 75 South of Ketchum 208-726-7777
- Sun Valley Animal Center Downtown Warm Springs Rd. Ketchum 208-726-7790
- St. Francis Pet Hospital HWY 75 on the north end of Ketchum 208-726-1157
If you cannot keep a found animal while trying to find the owner, please call your local police or animal control at one of the numbers below as appropriate to your location:
- Blaine County Sheriff’s Dispatch 208-788-5555
- Hailey Police 208-788-3531
- Bellevue Marshall 208-788-3692
- Ketchum Police 208-726-7819
- Sun Valley Police 208-622-5345
What to do if You Find a Stray Cat
Cats wandering outside are usually not far from their homes and are unlikely to be lost. Research shows that cats are 13 times more likely to be reunited with their owners if left in place. Here’s how you can help:
- If the cat looks healthy and not in imminent danger, i.e., busy road, please leave it where it is/put it back where you found it.
- Post a picture and description of the cat on Mountain Humane Lost and Found and 5B Pets Facebook pages.
- Post “Cat Sighting” flyers in your neighborhood with your contact and the date/time/location of the sighting.
What to do if You Find a Litter of Kittens
Mountain Humane is here to help if you find a litter of kittens. Follow the steps below to help guide you on the best path for these precious babies.